Sunday, September 28, 2014

Virtual Popularity Isn't Cool - It's Pathetic

As we Continue our English class this semester we are reading many different articles about the social media . One of the articles we read was by Ian Daly titled "Virtual Popularity Isn't Cool - It's Pathetic " which he talked about the virtual popularity on the web had people quenching their thirst for popularity behind a computer screen . He used an example of "tonight , a man with a successful white-collar career and a family who needs his attention will log on to his MacBook t see who "troutslapped "him and left a "zombie hug" - hypnotized by the soft glow of the LCD screen into thinking his online popularity has some kind of bearing on his life" here he gives an a strong written picture of exactly his point that some older men are more wrapped up in what others think or want to feel of the user while his family is in his presence but he is buried behind a computer screen . To Daly its not about what's being said on these social networks that could talk about productivity or world issues but instead the "mass infantilization " of the people behind them and what they want this mass web society to view them as .


I believe with Daly in a more than less. Today myself I have about 4 social networks ready to use at a fingertip swipe on my phone . I feel as though social networks are a place to vent and stay connected with people personally . Although on some of these networks that I follow past friends I often wonder how they became so socially "famous". Then there are other cases where I can agree with Daly because I will meet someone in person and once we exchange social network information I will see they are a totally different person on the internet . I feel your social networks should portray you in some since of a real reflection of you not a different persona just for attention or acceptance .

No comments:

Post a Comment